Friday, August 9, 2013

Adoption Stories

While we wait for the next steps in our adoption story, I thought I'd share and point to a couple of other adoption stories that I am privileged to be following.  

The first is a family that I've actually never met before but the mom and I have been messaging via facebook for a few months now.  They too are a pastor's family and went to seminary just before we did so we have much in common from the get go.  The exciting part at this point in their journey is that they are currently IN South Africa meeting and adjusting to their new daughter, a two and half year old little beauty with hair just like Kailyn's!  They have been working on this adoption for three and half years and even endured a time where the doors between Canada and South Africa were closed and no adoptions were moving forward.   Their story is inspiring and God-honouring as they give God the glory time and time again.  Check out their story at:  journeytobelonging.blogspot.ca

The second is the adoption journey of a dear friend.  I met Heather and her family at seminary -- they lived in the apartment upstairs from us and we saw each other almost everyday.  We ran together (it is her fault that I am now a runner!), visited outside while our kids played, babysat each other's kids and spent many evenings sewing, watching movies and chatting together.   Her and her husband, a university professor, have four busy beautiful children and have a child in Eastern Europe who is waiting to come home to them.  Heather, in my eyes, is a super mom.  She is going to be running a marathon this fall, she homeschools her children, she is an active member in their church and her husband is currently producing a movie while teaching a full course load which means he is gone a lot.  She does all of these things well and when I asked her how in the world she was going to welcome a fifth child into their lives, she shrugged and said she didn't know BUT that God has clearly called them to be this child's family and that was that.  You can check out Heather's story here: cafeaumommy.blogspot.ca

This brings me to my final comments ... 

God is working powerfully in the hearts of his people.  He is bringing children home to their forever families in many ways everyday.  These are only two stories of the many I have heard over the years and I am still awed.  I get goosebumps when someone shares an adoption story with me.  I am thrilled when someone tells me they are considering adoption or foster care.  I am always pleasantly surprised when I receive an email, phone call or facebook message from someone with questions about adoption.  I love hearing how God has called them to take a child, a stranger with a history they don't necessarily know, and love them unconditionally for the rest of their lives no matter how hard or easy it might be.

I really really love adoption.

Blessings, 
April

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, my friend sent me your blog! We are from Canada and are looking to adopt but aren't sure what agency is best. I haven't read all of your blog yet so didn't see what agency you working with, or if you're even Canadian. If you have any leads for us that would be incredible! heatherpaton1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete